About the Miami-Dade Age-Friendly Initiative
About the Age-Friendly Mini-Grant Program
The Miami-Dade Age-Friendly Initiative is proud to announce it’s third Age-Friendly Mini-Grant Program. The goal of the mini-grant program is to jump-start age-friendly projects across the County. In 2017, the Miami-Dade Age-Friendly Initiative and partners conducted surveys of age-friendliness. Urgent areas identified in the surveys for action included the domains related to Housing, Transportation, Civic Participation & Employment, and Community Support & Health Services. Projects will be considered in any age-friendly domain, but especially in those most urgent areas. Applications are now open until January 7, 2021.
• Create a voluntary incentive and recognition program to encourage builders to construct housing that meets Universal Design or Visitability standards within a municipality.
• Create a roommate board/posting system for older adults who may be looking to rent a space or find a roommate.
• Host a transit training for residents to learn how to use the bus, metro, or trolley in a particular area.
• Pilot an open streets day for residents to connect and walk or bike in their community with a special emphasis on age-friendly.
• Develop a walking map of things to see in your city including route that has safe sidewalks for older adults to utilize.
• Create a page or calendar of local health events, programs, and resources for residents.
• Support supplies for a community garden so residents can have access to healthy foods and interact with the community in the process.
• Support the training of staff members to better address older adults’ needs.
• Create a local job board for nearby businesses looking for employees.
• Market local co-working spaces and services for older adults who may not know about opportunities to utilize them.
• Support computer or software classes for older adult residents to gain new skills.
Mini-Grant Program Requirements, Eligibility & Important Dates
To be eligible to apply, applicant must be a non-profit organization, for-profit company, municipality, agency, or local organization with a great project idea.
Please note the following important dates and deadlines:
December 18, 2020EXTENDED to January 7, 2021 – Mini-grant Application Submission Deadline
- End of January 2021 – Notification of winners & MOUs will be Provided to Recipients
- February-July 2021 – Mini-Grant Implementation
- April 2021 – Check-In Update Due
- August 13, 2021 – Mini-Grant Recipient Reports Due